Covid-19 Advice and Information


😷Face coverings must be worn indoors in public places and on public transport.

😷Pupils and teachers must wear masks indoors and observe 1m social distancing.

🏡Stay and work from home as far as possible.

🧪Take lateral flow tests before mixing with other households.

🦠Self isolate and book a PCR test if you have symptoms.

📲Details need to be given at hospitality venues for test and protect.

🍻Table service only, 1m social distancing and groups of 3 households max in hospitality.

📲NHS Scotland Covid Status App or a recent negative lateral flow test result must be shown at nightclubs and for large-scale events.

🎟100 people max at indoor standing event and 200 people max at indoor seating events.

For the latest guidance from the Scottish Government, please visit here.



Everyone aged 12 and over is now eligible for vaccination. Those who live in Orkney do not need to book an appointment online as local arrangements are in place. Find out more about getting vaccinated in Orkney here.



NHS Scotland is assisted by three apps to help cur Covid-19. Downloading these onto your smartphone can help the work of NHS Test and Protect. You can find out more about the Check in Scotland app here and the  Protect Scotland app here. More information on the COVID status app can be read here.



Booster vaccinations should now be available on the NHS Scotland Covid Status App.

The latest version of the NHS Covid Status App is now out on AppStore and Google Play. It shows booster status in the international section. You may have to update your app for this change to take effect, and for some people it can take up to 24 hours for data to come through.

You can request an updated paper copy or PDF of your Covid-19 vaccination certificate here



If you don’t have symptoms take regular lateral flow tests, especially before mixing with other people this winter. Lateral Flow Tests - LFTs are also called Lateral Flow Device tests- LFDs. More information can be found here. Before travelling to and from Shetland you are requested to take pre-departure LFTs. NorthLink’s Covid-19 advice can be found here. You can order LFTs here or call 119. If you have a positive LFT result you no longer need a confirmatory PCR test and must self-isolate. Guidance on self-isolation and for those you live with or have been in contact with can be found here.

Those with Covid-19 symptoms are asked to self-isolate and order a PCR test. You can order this kind of test in Shetland through the referral form herePCR test results often come back within 24 hours. You can find out more about what to do if you have symptoms below. Guidance on self-isolation and for those you live with or have been in contact with can be found here.

You can order free home delivery of lateral flow testing kits here. Free lateral flow testing kits can also collected from the Kirkwall Vaccination Centre, Pickaquoy Centre and Kirkwall Airport.



You can travel anywhere in Scotland. You can travel anywhere in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands - before you travel you must check the travel rules in those countries. NorthLink’s Covid-19 travel advice can be found here.

More information on international travel and testing can be found hereThe country you are travelling to may require you to test before you travel. You may also have to take tests before returning to Scotland and once you have arrived. You can read more about International Travel testing requirements here.




The Scottish Government has committed £8m for creative freelancers who have lost income following the cancellation of work that was due to take place in the period 27 November 2021 - 31 March 2022 as a consequence of Covid-19.

The fund offers a one-off award to those who are most deeply impacted and disadvantaged by the cancellation or postponement of activity because of the current emergency situation.

This can include the cancellation or deferral of performances, productions, exhibitions and shows from which freelancers would have received income. This fund will not replace income lost through cancellation but will provide a contribution to partially offset its adverse impact.

Freelancers can request between £500 and £2000 to help offset the financial impact of cancellation of activity.

Applications opened on Thursday 6 January 2022. You can find out more here.



The December and January Top Up will provide a one off payment to support businesses affected by latest public health advice in December.

Eligible hospitality businesses that previously received support through the Strategic Framework Business Fund (SFBF) will receive a top up payment and will be contacted directly by their local authority. Guidance and eligibility for the hospitality sector can be found here.



A further round of the Scottish Wholesale Food and Drink Resilience Fund will run in January 2022.

Further information for the worst affected parts of the tourism sector, including international inbound tour operators, can be found here with further details from the Scottish Government due shortly. 

Wedding supply chain businesses that previously received support through the Scottish Wedding Industry Fund (SWIF) will receive a top-up payment and be contacted directly from 10 January.



The Scottish Government Business Ventilation Fund is now open to applications.  It will provide funding to help small and medium sized businesses improve their ventilation and help reduce the spread of Covid-19.

Businesses can claim up to £2,500 per eligible premises to recover the costs of carrying out work to improve ventilation and air quality. This could include:

  • Installing of carbon dioxide monitors.
  • Repairs to windows and vents.

Support will initially target high-risk settings where people come into close contact, such as restaurants, bars and gyms.  It will remain open until 31 March 2022 or when funds are exhausted — whichever occurs first.  More information on eligibility can be found here.



Statutory Sick Pay
You can get £94.25 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks. If you are staying at home because of COVID-19 you can now claim SSP. This includes individuals who are caring for people in the same household and therefore have been advised to do a household quarantine. To check your sick pay entitlement, you should talk to your employer, and visit the Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) page for more information.

Proof of sickness
If you have COVID-19 or are advised to stay at home, you can get an ‘isolation note’ by visiting NHS online. Isolation notes will also be accepted by Jobcentre Plus as evidence of your inability to attend.

Self-Isolation Support Grant (SISG)
More information about the grant and information on how to apply through Shetland Islands Council can be found on the SIC website here.

Recently unemployed
If you have recently become unemployed, you can find information on how to claim support here.

Redundancy support
If you’re facing redundancy or are unsure about your rights you can get in touch with the Shetland CAB for advice and support (more information below). There are rules employers have to follow (regardless of how long someone has worked for them). Self-help advice is also available here.

Personal Finance
If you need advice on your personal finances you can contact Shetland Citizen’s Advice Bureau: call 01595 694696 or email [email protected] and a local adviser will get back to you as soon as possible or The Money Advice, call 0800 138 7777


This page was last updated on 14 January 2022.